Studying in Marketing – past and present
Laura Brown at Brevity Marketing is currently studying for her Level 6 CIM sustainable marketing diploma with The Oxford College of Marketing.
I took my Level 7 CIM Diploma in Marketing in 1997. Sustainable Marketing was not a subject option in those days. It’s positive that the CIM recognise the need to develop their qualifications for today’s business environments.
Any CIM Diploma is tough going, especially because you’re likely to be working either full or part time – whilst studying, possibly with a family too. But my experience is that it’s highly beneficial. It gives you a polish above many other marketers or candidates if you wish to take the qualifications to improve your marketing career prospects.
Back in 2018, I was awarded a Marketing Fellowship by the CIM – and wrote a blog about how to get ahead in marketing. The information here still stands, but we thought it would be beneficial to write another blog around sustainable marketing qualifications.
Getting ahead in sustainable marketing
If you’re looking to take your marketing career to the next level, the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Diploma in Sustainable Marketing is an excellent option. This prestigious qualification is highly regarded in the industry and can open many new marketing career opportunities.
Here are five key benefits of achieving a CIM Diploma in Sustainable Marketing:
- Improved career prospects: Having a CIM Diploma in Sustainable Marketing demonstrates to existing and new employers that you have a strong knowledge of marketing, as well as an understanding of sustainability. This combination of skills is highly valued in the industry and can lead to new job opportunities or promotions.
- Enhanced marketing skills: The course covers a broad range of marketing topics, including modules on Marketing & Digital Strategy, and Innovation in Marketing. You’ll learn practical skills that you can apply in your marketing job right away, as well as more strategic skills that will enable you to plan and implement effective marketing strategies and campaigns.
- Sustainability knowledge: Studying CIM sustainable marketing equips you with a comprehensive understanding of sustainability issues and how they relate to marketing. This knowledge can enable you to make informed decisions that align with the triple bottom line of people, planet, and profit.
- Networking opportunities: Attending in-person or online classes every week during term time means you’ll have the chance to meet other marketing professionals and build valuable connections. These connections can help you throughout your career, whether you’re looking for a new job or wishing to find inspirational people that can support you on the business for good journey.
- Personal development: The course is challenging, and you’ll need to commit around five hours per week to homework. But the effort is worth it. You’ll develop your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and you’ll gain a sense of accomplishment when you complete the marketing course.